Experimenting with Fondant

Almost a year ago, my baby's first birthday was approaching, and being in Angola I started searching for where I might find the perfect cake to celebrate his bday. I looked up several outlets in Luanda that sell cakes covered in fondant, however the prices seemed outrageous to me.
I thought of the alternative and decided to take on the challenge and do my own fondant covered cake.

I found a supplier of fondant and shipped some items from abroad. I drew up the design I had in mind, a simple one nothing to complicated to start with.

Check out the final product!


 
Then right around the corner from my son's birthday was my sister in laws birthday who is also in Angola. My idea was to make a designer handbag, and so this is what the end result looked like. The colors are a bit off hue, but I had to work with what I had in hand.
 
 
 
 


Then for mother's day, I experimented with the bow design, but you have to make sure you start with it a couple of days ahead of the cake as the loops of the bow need to  harden before you put them on the cake.

 
 
And finally the latest one I did was back in Beirut in August, for my cousin's Henna night.
 
 
Final word of advice, to all of you moms out there who are living in Angola or in any other country where it is still kind of difficult to find nice pasty shops with REASONABLE prices, give fondant a try, it is not that difficult to work with, just think of playdough. And it doesnt have to be an outrageous complicated design, you can find a lot of simple and neat designs that will help adorn your celebration :)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appreciation taught by the Kambamba School Children

Luanda Magic Parc of Miramar

In Luanda...Here's what you need to know !