He's Two :D

 
 
 
 
 



 
March is here and it's packed with celebrations!
My baby turned two last sunday! Mother's day and my mom is coming for a visit to Luanda!! Woohoo!
So since my mom will be here later this month we decided to postpone his birthday party a couple of weeks, and I did a cake to celebrate on the day of his birthday. I made a number 2 cake, with a giraffe print, since he's all into animals and since he recently experienced a safari trip.

We started off his day with a stack of yummy pancakes with sprinkles!

For the number two cake, it's really simple, this is how I cut it out. I made two cakes, a round one and a loaf cake. I will post the recipe of the chocolate cake, because this is by far the best chocolate cake recipe you can have your hands on, the hersheys perfectly chocolate chocolate cake!

So for the chocolate cake you will need
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2  eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
 
  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
  2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
  3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. 


So after baking both cakes take the round cake and cut a whole in the middle. Then cut a piece from it in the shape of a triangle.


                                
 
This triangle will serve as the link between the round cake and loaf pan cake that will form the shape of the number 2












 
You can trim the endings of the loaf pan, for it to level with the head of the number 2.
Then frost it with the design you like. Here I used orange buttercream , then for the patches of the giraffe I used chocolate ganache.
 

 
Happy Birthday Baby!!


 

Comments

  1. Super cute cake and Happy Birthday to your little man!

    Ida
    secondchancesgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Wonderful that the little guy can celebrate with grandma! We're going to do something similar for Mateo's 2nd this summer. We'll be in Croatia and plan to celebrate a few weeks early so that it can be a big family party and include his grandparents. Isn't it amazing how FAST the time flies. Two years old! You've got a little man there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youmna,

    What led me to your blog is your mention of vanilla extract. I'm an expat who just started working in Luanda, and I can't find vanilla extract anywhere. Where do you find yours? And what do they call it here? I tried using the Portuguese word "baunila," but I may as well been asking for moon rocks judging by the reaction of the people I asked.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul, I know exactly what you mean! I have been here for 4 years now and learned that some things you need to get with you from abroad, and one of those things is vanilla! sometimes you would find them in shoprite or casa de fresco but for the time being they are out of stock. You can find vanilla sugar in Kero, if that would help! I am facing same thing with yeast right now! cant find anywhwere!
      thanks for stopping by
      youmna

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appreciation taught by the Kambamba School Children

Luanda Magic Parc of Miramar

In Luanda...Here's what you need to know !